The Association of Bakery Ingredient Manufacturers (ABIM) represents and promotes the common interests of UK companies who manufacture and supply a wide range of quality ingredients to the baking industry. Established in 1917 as BATA (the Bakery and Allied Traders Association), ABIM is a member of FEDIMA (Federation of European manufacturers and suppliers of ingredients to the bakery, confectionary and patisserie industries) and is a member of the Food and Drink Federation (FDF).
Membership is open to all UK companies who manufacture and supply ingredients to the baking industry. The association is made up of eleven-member companies and three associate members from across the United Kingdom.
These companies have sites located throughout the UK and represent some £500 million of turnover and employ 3,000 people.
What we do
- ABIM aims to promote and represent the common interests of its members, primarily in relation to UK and European technical and legislative matters affecting the industry.
- ABIM advises and briefs members about legislative and other developments that may affect their business activities.
- ABIM aims to build constructive dialogue with legislators, Government authorities, the European Commission, retailers, consumers and any other interested party which may directly or indirectly further the interests of association members.
The Association is composed of:
- An Executive Committee
- An All Members Committee
- A Technical Committee
- A Secretariat
The Executive Committee is responsible to the Membership for the management of the daily affairs of the Association.
The All Members Committee meets quarterly to consider current issues and the direction of the association.
The Technical Committee meets four times a year, and ad-hoc Technical Working Groups are set up when required and report back to the Technical Committee with recommendations on specific issues.
The ABIM Secretariat is based in the offices of the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) – www.fdf.org.uk in London.
Who we are
President – Carl Horrobin
1st Vice President – David Amos
2nd Vice President – Vacant
Honorary Auditor – Dan Parkin
ABIM Technical Chair – Richard Hall
Joint Vice Chairs ABIM Technical Committee – Olatunde Ray-Odekeye and Jonquil Dawson
Technical Committee – Vacant
i. Expert Groups
- Enzymes - Chris Cox
- Additives - Manjeet Rooke
- Sourdough - Gulten Yagmur
- AFES - Vacant
- Process Contaminants - Carine Chincholle
Labelling - Carine Chincholle
ii. Temporary taskforce
- CLP Regulation - Carine Chincholle
- Wholegrain - Vicky McColl
Sustainability Committee - Jo Greengrass
Market and Communications Committee - Philippa Knight